Monday, June 3, 2013

Fana Tesfagiorgis, Ailey Dancer


Fana Tesfagiorgis is no stranger to Ailey.  A native of Madison, WI and a graduate of the Ailey/Fordham B.F.A. Program in Dance, Fana spent her college years studying with a who’s who of eminent Ailey School instructors, honing her craft both with classes at the Ailey Studios and onstage at the Ailey Citigroup Theater. After being invited by Artistic Director Emerita Sylvia Waters to join the second company, she traveled the world with Ailey II.

While on tour with Ailey II in 2011, Fana shared her awe over her new profession: “Sometimes I wake up in my hotel room in the middle of the night and wonder if it’s all a dream – the rare locations, the lights, and the crowds pleading for encores. Am I really a professional dancer? How lucky we are to get to see the world and do what we love to do.” Following her two years with Ailey II, Fana freelanced for a year -- performing, teaching, and serving as an assistant to various choreographers.

Now a newly-minted member of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Fana once again looks back as she starts a new chapter in her life. “All of these eye-opening experiences have led to my dream manifesting, and I wouldn't have gotten here without God and the constant support from my family, teachers, and peers. I can't wait to absorb and share everything that I can on this new journey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment